Skip to main content

Day 4 is nearly done...

Nearly 2.5 billion people in 42 countries and territories are under obligatory confinement. No region in the world is excluded.

Tonight, I dream of beautiful Barcelona... and pray for the people of Spain, as the number of infected people and fatalities keep rising. May God protect the people there, as well as all the people around the world that is suffering, at the hand of this dreaded virus.
Sagrada Familia
Our president spoke to the people of South Africa again tonight, via a live broadcast. He mentioned that there are now around 37 000 people who have died of this virus globally. And these numbers are growing at an alarming rate. In South Africa, there are now officially 3 recorded deaths.

He addressed the misconceptions that many people hold about this virus, including the fact that anyone can get it. Many videos have surfaced where people from the poorer communities are going about their business and are saying this won’t affect them. What a situation we are in!

I have so much respect for our president. He has such a way with words and tonight his speech was yet again so touching for me. He thanked all the professions, from the doctors and nurses to the grocery store workers, petrol attendants, and rubbish removal services, for the work they are doing to keep our country running and our people looked after. Thank you for your words tonight, Mr. President. I pray that your people listened tonight!

Personally, things are still ok on the homefront. I have not been out of the house since the lockdown. 

Today, it was back to working from home after the weekend. My day job (which pays my salary) and my second job (being a mom and wife) have now merged. It feels like I am busy 24/7. In between emails and conference calls, I need to make sure the kids don’t hurt each other, feed them and keep them out of mischief...  Feeling like supermom, I also did some washing and more baking. I do like to bake stuff every now and then... but recently it’s been something different each day. Gold star for me!


Keeping them busy...they love to paint!
Today, I am grateful for being able to spend time with my kids. In the normal going, we don’t have much time together. It’s been special having them around me, to see my little one’s development each day. Sophia is now up to 3-word sentences. This little girl has so much attitude and loves to give. She has become so clingy and needy the past week, and wants to be around me. The. Whole. Time. When I go back to work it is going to be very hard for her. But I will treasure the time we have now.

I am grateful for technology, to still be able to communicate with my loved ones that are not here with me. WhatsApp video calls make the distance between people disappear, and having group chats are becoming the norm, to catch up with loved ones and provide some cheer and comfort.

Sophia is turning 2 on Friday, and we planned a party for her, but due to lockdown, this will now be a virtual one... I have invited our guests to a Zoom call, so we can all sing along for her, and they can watch her blow out her candles. Adapting to the times we are in, I guess... more baking will be done, this time a birthday cake is on the cards.

Stay home. Stay safe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 980 in lockdown?

Are we flattening the curve? It seems that the numbers are not climbing as sharply in our country at present, or is it the calm before the storm? I sincerely hope it’s the former, and that we are winning this invisible war with the swift action taken, and the stay-at-home orders from our president. I pray that the other parts of the world that are severely affected, find solutions soon and minimize the loss of more lives. I have lost count of the days in lockdown... They are all blurring together in a frenzy of cleaning house, tidying up and packing, and unpacking the dishwasher. Our dishwasher has never worked harder than during this period! "Cleaning with kids in the house is like brushing your teeth while eating a KitKat." I am cleaning house like we are getting visitors, but as soon as my back is turned, it seems like 2 mini toy tornadoes hit the area I just cleaned... This is messing with my OCD, and the more I tell myself to chill and let it be, the more I cl

Lock-down is imminent

We are a couple of hours away from a complete lockdown of our country…  This was unchartered territory for most people on earth, until COVID-19 (aka the Coronavirus) hit the planet. Oh, the panic that is gripping our country (and surely other countries around the world)… The panic-buying and stockpiling, but also the panic of what this lockdown will bring… The army has been deployed in South Africa to manage this lock-down period. What does this mean, and how will they operate? That is yet to be seen. The government is very forthcoming with the rules that will be imposed, and the fines and punishment if these are not obeyed. But what does a lockdown mean, and more importantly, how are we going to get through this 21-day forced isolation? And what will society look like when we get to the other side? For many, it must be very daunting that there will be no restaurants, no Uber Eats or fast-food outlets in operation; no online shopping or deliveries; no shopping at all basical

Lockdown extension - we knew it was coming...

So it happened, the lockdown has been extended. Am I surprised? Not at all. And I have all the faith in our president for the decisions he has made thus far. Fast, decisive action. I am praying that this is what will save our nation from experiencing devastating loss of life. That this decision, and the other measures government is working on, willl curb the spread of this dread disease, and contain those that are infected. I have stopped following the news updates and the rapidly climbing figures as it spreads like an uncontained wildfire through the world. There is so much going on right here. But I still pray for all the affected countries. Day 14 is over. A further 21 days to come. For the most part things are ok. Yesterday was a sad day. Went to a funeral of someone very close to us. There were 7 people in the church for the memorial service, but nearly 100 devices signed in to listen via a live link. Estimated to be more than 200 people who watched it live. How amazing tha