Skip to main content

Lockdown - day one

Today, the first reported case of a person dying as a result of the dreaded virus, was reported in South Africa. And this person was only 48 years old. We clearly had a misguided understanding that it mostly kills the older generations. What a sad day, and surely the number of fatalities will not stay there. But this is only the start. In Italy, the reported death rate was at a thousand, yesterday alone.

I do so hope that this lockdown will contain the sick to their homes and curb the spread. But what happens outside of the privileged areas, where many people share small, confined spaces? Where people share the same ablution facilities and have to walk a distance to obtain clean water? Will these people be spared from this virus, or will it spread like wildfire once it gets there? I do pray that the virus is contained sooner rather than later, with minimal loss of life. One life lost is already too many.

The news reports that many areas were like ghost towns today, but certain areas just carried on like normal... why not heed the calls of our president to stay inside and protect yourself and your neighbours?

On a personal note, day one is basically over, and it was fairly easy, but I have been home with the kids since Monday, 23 March. Basically we have been in self-isolation, doing social distancing, for the most part of the week. It has been a rough couple of days, as we adjusted to all being at home the whole time, in each other's space. The kids were agitated with each other and fought like a typical brother and sister. I am glad to say that they have adjusted now and its much calmer in the house, most of the time.

Experts suggest that you should create a routine at home during this time, to give structure to your kids' day. I thought this was a great idea, and thought of activities to include in their daily programme, snacks I would provide and short bursts of time where we would have one-on-one time with both of them.

Well, to be honest, it did not go according to plan. To summarise, we had homemade cake for breakfast and spent most of the day in our pajamas. But on the upside, they got to play outside in the garden, running around and getting some sun and fresh air.



Tomorrow is my mom's birthday. We always make a big fuss on birthdays, so this will be a sad day for me, not being able to spend it with my mom, eating cake and opening presents. We did have a mini celebration yesterday, cake and all, but it's sad that she will be alone for this one.

During this time of uncertainty and confinement, I constantly remind myself of everything that I have to be thankful for.

I am thankful that we have a garden for our kids to run and play in, where so many are currently confined to small apartments, without being able to feel the sunshine on their skin or feel the grass under their feet.

I am thankful that I was able to choose what we should make for dinner, from the food in our cupboard, while so many live from hand to mouth and may go hungry tonight because they could not work to earn a wage.

I am thankful for being safe in our house, from the invisible enemy, where so many are sick, or exposed to people who are sick.

So while our country is in lockdown, and we are confined to our homes, I will dream about the places I have visited, where one day it will again be safe to go. Most of all, I will dream of my favorite city in the springtime. Je t'aime Paris, till we meet again.

Stay safe. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 980 in lockdown?

Are we flattening the curve? It seems that the numbers are not climbing as sharply in our country at present, or is it the calm before the storm? I sincerely hope it’s the former, and that we are winning this invisible war with the swift action taken, and the stay-at-home orders from our president. I pray that the other parts of the world that are severely affected, find solutions soon and minimize the loss of more lives. I have lost count of the days in lockdown... They are all blurring together in a frenzy of cleaning house, tidying up and packing, and unpacking the dishwasher. Our dishwasher has never worked harder than during this period! "Cleaning with kids in the house is like brushing your teeth while eating a KitKat." I am cleaning house like we are getting visitors, but as soon as my back is turned, it seems like 2 mini toy tornadoes hit the area I just cleaned... This is messing with my OCD, and the more I tell myself to chill and let it be, the more I cl

Lock-down is imminent

We are a couple of hours away from a complete lockdown of our country…  This was unchartered territory for most people on earth, until COVID-19 (aka the Coronavirus) hit the planet. Oh, the panic that is gripping our country (and surely other countries around the world)… The panic-buying and stockpiling, but also the panic of what this lockdown will bring… The army has been deployed in South Africa to manage this lock-down period. What does this mean, and how will they operate? That is yet to be seen. The government is very forthcoming with the rules that will be imposed, and the fines and punishment if these are not obeyed. But what does a lockdown mean, and more importantly, how are we going to get through this 21-day forced isolation? And what will society look like when we get to the other side? For many, it must be very daunting that there will be no restaurants, no Uber Eats or fast-food outlets in operation; no online shopping or deliveries; no shopping at all basical

Lockdown extension - we knew it was coming...

So it happened, the lockdown has been extended. Am I surprised? Not at all. And I have all the faith in our president for the decisions he has made thus far. Fast, decisive action. I am praying that this is what will save our nation from experiencing devastating loss of life. That this decision, and the other measures government is working on, willl curb the spread of this dread disease, and contain those that are infected. I have stopped following the news updates and the rapidly climbing figures as it spreads like an uncontained wildfire through the world. There is so much going on right here. But I still pray for all the affected countries. Day 14 is over. A further 21 days to come. For the most part things are ok. Yesterday was a sad day. Went to a funeral of someone very close to us. There were 7 people in the church for the memorial service, but nearly 100 devices signed in to listen via a live link. Estimated to be more than 200 people who watched it live. How amazing tha